James Hardin is a trial lawyer who specializes in business, intellectual property, employment, and class action litigation. He represents large corporations in business-related matters, entrepreneurs and start ups, and individuals suffering from a personal harm. In other words, James’ experience and successes are not limited to one area of the law.
James’ accomplishments in the legal profession have been acknowledged on many occasions. He has been recognized six times as a “Rising Star” by Los Angeles Magazine – a distinction given to only the best attorneys in the state who are 40 or under, or who have been practicing for 10 years or less. No more than 2.5% of the lawyers in California are named to the list. Additionally, James’s is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, two of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlement and less than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members.
A few of James’s notable cases include:
- A $51 million cash settlement for a large technology company in a business litigation case involving defective components;
- A judgment of no liability on a complaint and approximately $8 million on a cross-complaint in business dispute between owners of a closely held corporation.
- Served as lead counsel and recovered more than $10 million for plaintiffs’ in a class action in which a nationwide class was certified.
- Settlement of a corporate securities and breach of fiduciary duty matter where his clients were defendants by counterclaiming. Resulted in the ultimate dismissal of a the complaint and a recovery of more than $1 million in cash and securities on the counterclaim.
- Defeated a plaintiff’s motions for preliminary injunction and summary judgment in a trademark and trade dress infringement case and obtained a favorable settlement for his client soon thereafter.
Throughout his practice, James has obtained many outstanding results for numerous defense clients and has helped secure over $70 million in verdicts and settlements on behalf of plaintiffs in litigation.
Prior to co-founding Newport Trial Group, James worked at one of the nation’s top plaintiffs’ firms, Robinson, Calcagnie & Robinson and before that he practiced with well-respected firm of Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker and Call, Jensen & Ferrell, where he was a shareholder.
James is a graduate of the UCLA School of Law. He is admitted to the California Bar, the United States District Court, Central District; United States District Court, Southern District; United States District Court, Northern District; United States District Court, Eastern District.
Additionally, James is a member of the Orange County Bar Association, Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, and the American Bar Association.